From the mind of Tom Beland

Creator of True Story Swear to God

Thursday, September 25, 2008

IT'S MAH BIRFDAY!


Yep. That's right.

I hit the big 4-oh-6 today and I gotta say, I don't think I ever matured over the years.

Oh yeah, the hair's gone, the grey has settled in and found a home in my beard and I'm taking medicine that I once labeled as "old folks" medicine.

But mentally...? I'm still that 23-year old dude who loved to go out at night and get crazy. I'm still in love with comics. I still love a good groove playing while I draw. I still love Saturday morning cartoons and I still love a good Coke from the freezer, just before it explodes.

I still love the feeling I get on new comics day. I love how each book is another wrapped gift and I'm always shocked at what my co-creators are doing in the field. And hey... I get my comics for FREE on my birthday!! The owner never charges me on my birthday.

So what did the wifey get me? Well, for one, she got me one of those CHILL PILLOWS... the ones that never lose their cold side. I've been flipping my pillow over and over at night since I moved to Puerto Rico and when we heard about this, I nearly exploded all over the screen. So, most people would say "a pillow...?" I say "YESSSS!!" She also got me a very cool razor for my head and beard.

My niece, Tiana, is getting me a back scratcher. Trust me... this is also an epic gift. I loooooove a good back scratching. I must've been an old hound dog in another life.

And tonight, we're going to our friends' restaurant for dinner and we'll have a ton of family and friends joining us. There'll be food, conversation, laughter and we'll probably embarrass somebody during the night. It's my favorite part of the day.

I love birthdays. I love celebrating another year on this crazy globe. I love getting birthday wishes on Facebook and MySpace and I love having that inner child still in me. After what I've gone through the past couple of months, you'd better have some sort of childlike optimistic approach to life.

But best of all... my wife continues to give me the greatest gift of all. Her company. Even when she's driving me crazy with how it takes her ten minutes to set-up the stories she tells me while I'm trying to watch the game. Even after ten years of hearing that she's starving, but doesn't know what she wants to eat. And even when I'm watching something and she puts on the channel guide and flips through the listings one at a time... I love her company.

Because she's awesome.

9 comments:

David A Price said...

Happy birthday, Tom. I hope it's a great one.

Robert Chambers said...

OK, first of all, Tom, Happy Birthday! I'm about 6 years behind you and I've been trying my level best not to obsess about it like I did when I turned 30. Buenos cumpleanos and all that jazz.

Now, then, here comes my question for you: CHILL PILLOWS??!! THERE ARE SUCH THINGS?? I'm serious - what kind of a pillow is this? I'm living in frikkin' Las Vegas, where the average temp in the summer is 451 degrees - that's why it's not a reading town;) - and I am DYING here. Help a brother out!

*ahem* (composes himself)

So, anyways, happy birthday again, Tom. Make it a good one!

Robert Chambers said...

Umm, I just consulted with my wife, whose Spanish is only slightly better than mine - I shoulda said "Feliz Cumpleanos", not Buenos Cumpleanos. I essentially said "Good Birthday", which carries the same meaning, I guess.
At least I didn't ask if her hoo-hoo was boneless.;)

Tom Beland said...

Chill Pillow is pretty damned awesome. Just tried it last night and it was niiiice. Here's the link:

http://www.comfortchannel.com/prod.itml/icOid/1723

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated!

I think I have something for you at home to scan and send. A blast from the past, as it were. I never throw art away.

I hope I remember it this weekend...

TE
Napa

Tom Beland said...

HAH! DO IT!!

Yeah, you must have some great stuff!!!

TW George said...

Happy belated birthday!

My best friend's birthday is 09/25, too.

And I think I'll be looking for one of those pillows. :-)

TW George

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday Tom! It sounds like you had a great time and you are in high spirits. Awesome!

Barb M.

the4thpip said...

Happy belated birthday from Germany!
I blame the time difference!